With the fall season just around the corner, now is a great time to clean up some items you’ve left aside. Like those pesky garbage and recycle bins for example.
Here’s an easy 5-step plan to get those bins clean and stink-free:
- Move the bins to an area outside that you can get wet and soapy. (The lawn would be ideal.)
- Make sure the bins are empty and squirt some Dawn liquid dish detergent on the bottom of each bin.
- Use a sprayer attached to a garden hose to “pressure wash” the inside of the offensive can.
- Pour out the soapy water and rinse. Leave the lid open and air dry. (Repeat steps 1-4 if necessary).
- If the bin is exceptionally smelly use this recipe:
- 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach
- 4 liters of warm water
- 1 tablespoon powdered laundry detergent
Mix the ingredients in a cleaning bucket and pour into the trash container. Be careful not to get the bleach on yourself! Let sit for 15 minutes. Use a long handled scrub brush, scrub the insides of the can. Rinse with the spray hose, and turn it upside down in order to let all the water drain out of it (preferably not on the lawn. The bleach may kill the lawn). Turn the garbage bin back around with the lid open so that it is right-side up, and let it dry in the sun all day.
For more helpful cleaning tips, please visit our News section: https://tidytimesaver.com/news/